Open Day 2022
Our very popular Open Day is back again on Sunday 29th May.
We simply want to share with you our love for soaring flight.
You will be able to:
- Experience the joy of silent soaring
- Discover how easy it is to become a pilot yourself.
- Hear about the amazing things that gliders can do.
- Understand the incredible things that glider pilots achieve
- Meet our members and learn why they’re passionate about gliding.
- The joy of flight (of course)
- Discovering our beautiful countryside from the air.
- Making new friends.
- Learning new skills.
- Helping others to learn and develop.
- Becoming part of a friendly and supportive community.
- Discover how affordable, stimulating and eco-friendly gliding can be.
- We hope perhaps you’ll decide to join us and share in the fun
What will happen on the day?
- We’ll talk with you about gliding and soaring
- You’ll decide whether to take a flight with us on the day
- If so we’ll book you a slot for a two-seater flight with a qualified pilot
- You’ll be fully briefed on what to expect and how to get the most out of the experience
- During the flight you’ll have the opportunity to take the controls under careful supervision
- We’ll bring you safely back to a gentle landing on our airfield from where you started
- We’ll supply you with a month’s membership to return and fly again as a member
- You’ll leave with an insight into our fantastic sport and how you could join us
What do you need to do?
- Get yourself to the airfield any time from 9:30
- Bring family and friends
- There will be lots to see, food and refreshments and places to sit. Bring a picnic if you wish. Dogs must be kept on leads
- We’re on a hill top site above Kingston Deverill. Get to the Church and signposts will lead you to the airfield. BA12 7HF gets you close but follow the signs! Google maps will help
- Park in the designated area. Someone will meet you and escort you to the booking-in area at the hangar
Decide if you’d like to take a flight.
- You’ll be briefed, weighed and given information about your flight. There’s no exam! (Our operational limits are that we can’t fly anyone over 16 stone (102Kg) or under 7 stone (44.5 Kg), or under 14 years of age. You’ll need to be physically able to get up from a seated position on the ground unaided.)
- You’ll be guided to the launch area in good time for your flight and introduced to your pilot. Listen and enjoy.
- Enjoy the flight in whatever way you’d prefer. You don’t have to take the controls but will be expertly shown what to do if you’d like to try
After the flight
- Make sure you collect your membership voucher
- Talk with our members about their experiences of gliding
- If you think you’d like to do some more, perhaps a winch launch, talk to us and we’ll help you to do so
- Tell your friends and family what a lovely experience you had!
Flights with a BGA approved pilot will be at the all inclusive, reduced price of £85 for an aerotow to 2000ft. This includes 30 days full club membership which allows you to start training at club member rates. If there is availability on the Open Day this allows you to take a second flight from a winch launch for £19 inclusive of soaring time.
More detail on trial flights is on this page
Gliding Club Membership
One of the features of gliding is that it in addition to learning how to fly and soar, it opens up a new world where you can participate as part of a team in a vast range of activities, from helping to run the airfield, maintaining aircraft or even learning how to become an instructor.
Take a look at the videos of how a club works
Please email us through the contact page